Sunday, May 15, 2011

Successful Job Search

Typically international teachers go through the job search process in December-January at big international recruitment fairs in places like Bangkok, London, or San Francisco.  I've never attended one, and this year I didn't think I'd need to anyway.

So when I began my job search in March of this year I wasn't expecting anything at all.  I wanted to at least visit some schools, meet some principals, and get my name on the substitute list, hoping to eventually get a full-time position after a bit of part-time work.

What luck!  I interviewed with the principal of SCIS ECE center while we were house-hunting, and a week later I had a Skype interview (from my classroom in Hanoi) with the vice principal.  The very next day I had a job offer for... drumrollll...... teaching a pre-school class of 3-year-olds - jackpot!

This is the age group I've always been interested in working with, and I'm excited that this school seems to share the philosophies that I've developed regarding early childhood education.  Of course I'll still encounter the same challenges that anyone would have in a new city, in a new school, in a new position, but I'm thrilled to have found an ideal job before moving to Shanghai.  Now I've got even more to look forward to!

No comments:

Post a Comment