Tuesday, September 25, 2012

The Highlight of My Day

So... I haven't posted anything in a while.  What with every other kind of social networking and photo site or app, what's the point?  Go on, see what I've been up to on Facebook, Twitter, FourSquare, Instagram, Flickr, or even my classroom blog.  Well, I guess if I post something here I can use more than 140 characters, and though it will only be read by the precious few that I've added as subscribers, it might be enjoyed for more than a fleeting instant.

Let's get on with it.  Recently the weather in Shanghai has been unusually perfect: clear blue skies, cool breezes, soft sunlight, and warm but not sweat-inducing temperatures.  Chris and I have been inspired to spend more time on the back patio playing backgammon, sipping tea while plotting our next move in Words, or just watching the occasional neighborhood kid or dog stroll by while we read and watch snails inch along the hanging flower pots.

I also like to make the most of the exceptionally pleasant weather by riding my bike to school, or to run a quick errand.  The real joy in this endeavor is that even a short ride is never a dull one.  I'm recently more tickled than annoyed at all the strange things I've come to expect on a journey down any divided highway, busy road, or back alley.

For example, this evening I decided to ride my bike to pilates class - the studio is less than 2 miles away, never more than 15 minutes by bicycle, though sometimes at least 15 minutes by taxi.  There are so many great things about riding a bike in the city: elegantly maneuvering through traffic,  feeling the power of propelling yourself with your own energy, absorbing every little sound and smell of the neighborhood.  Granted, it is a careful choice, whether to ride or not.  Conditions must be considered: too hot? (don't want to get sweaty); too cold? (don't want a frozen snot 'stache); too wet? (don't want to arrive with mud streaks); too much to carry? (don't want to look like the Clampets); in a hurry? (can't be in a rush or the traffic gods will indeed strike you down); don't know the address? (can't check the iPhone while riding).  So when I get lucky and all the conditions are ideal (nice temperature, clear skies, just need my wallet, plenty of time, familiar route, head light and flashing brake light installed) I feel compelled to make use of this wonderful machine.

Tonight's journey lived up to its promise of an enjoyable ride.  The traffic lights worked in my favor, the honking wasn't directly behind me, there were only a few parked cars, and I didn't even break a sweat.  The rest was pure bonus!  As I rode past the four-story Walmart, I heard blaring ballroom dancing music and saw a mob of middle-aged women gyrating in amazing uniform fashion (perhaps you already saw the photo I edited with Instagram and published via Facebook?).  This was not such an unusual site, but I must say this crowd was particularly loud and large, and what's not to love about the glowing beacon of the Walmart sign, rising up to rival the moon illuminating the night sky?

I felt a surge of pride with my other bike riders (well, maybe they weren't feeling so proud) as we rolled past a line of cars stuck in traffic, arriving at the intersection just as the light turned green.  Triumphant, we breezed through the intersection, dodging the last few pedestrians still crossing the road, and avoiding impatient cars swinging through the right turn without even glancing our way.

On the way home the scene was even livelier: I held my ground and my share of the road as taxis swerved into on-coming traffic without blinking an eye.  I witnessed the near-death of a mangey dog as it scampered senselessly into the street and stopped as if daring the Mercedes to hit it (which it did not). I heard Adele wafting through static down a lonely alley behind some apartments.  I saw the smoke billowing up before I smelled the spicy,  greasy mouth-watering meat grilling over open flames.  And my favorite part, as always, was my haphazard entry through our neighborhood gate (watch for cars coming out, scooters zooming past, dogs not on a leash, children on the sidewalk, stay far to the right to avoid the speed bump, get around the dump truck, don't hit the old couple) when I zip past the guards in their lopsided hats, potbellies out, cigarettes dangling, with an unnecessarily friendly (but altogether sincere) "Ni hao!"  I arrived safe and sound, back to our home-sweet-home in China Garden.

Well, the weather's looking good...  I think I'll ride my bike to work tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment